Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Foood!

Um, side note before I start: Where the heck did June go?! I sound old for saying that, but jeez I cannot believe it’s July (tomorrow)!

On to a tasty recipe- if you like shrimp, which I do… which is why I made it last night. We also love tomatoes, which is also included in this. [Sorry Elizabeth, this one is not for you ;) ]



Shrimp Scampi Pasta Bake (came up with that creative combo on my own)

It’s a little bit time consuming, but perfect for two people to prepare!

The main part of this is The Barefoot Contessa’s Baked Shimp Scampi. I cut the original recipe in half, so I went ahead and changed it here:

Ingredients:

• 1 pound shrimp in the shell (I bought already peeled)
• 1.5 tablespoons good olive oil
• 2 tablespoons dry white wine (original amount, but hey I like wine)
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (I used Earth Balance butter, which is vegan. I’m not vegan, but it’s a small step towards being healthier)
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic (two cloves, or more if you love garlic)
• 1/4 cup minced shallots (original amount, but I went with it)
• 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves (original amount)
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves (original amount)
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (original amount)
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (original amount)
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (original amount)
• 1 extra-large egg yolk (original amount)
• 2/3 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes) *Half this, but I don’t know the correct measurement
• Pasta
• Tomatoes or any other veggie you prefer

Okay, okay so I halved the shrimp and the butter… whatever!


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
First, boil water and throw in your favorite pasta- I used half a box of Farfalle.

Peel, devein, and takes tales off of shrimp. Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the olive oil, wine, salt and pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature while you make the butter and garlic mixture.
In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until combined.
Drain pasta and pour into bottom of a 9X13 dish. Arrange shrimp evenly over the pasta and pour remaining marinade over top. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the top (I used my hands and spatula). Then place diced tomatoes or other veg (I think artichoke hearts would be delish, but I’m pretty obsessed so…) over that. Sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese (I had some in the fridge, this is optional) and place in preheated oven for about 15 mins. Delish!


*Only thing I would suggest to do differently that I did last night is toss the pasta with a little bit of olive oil before putting in the dish.


There ya go! I think it's offical- I'm not good at posting recipes ha! I feel like they're all over the place, sorry!



2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... that sounds delish! I've always been impressed with your creativity in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks! I'm just glad I had roommates who loved my cooking! :)

    ReplyDelete